Ode to the chicken

Alas. Cold Season.
This calls for Vitamin C, garlic in ridiculous abundance, Elderberry Tincture, Echinacea, chicken fat... and so much more.


Image result for victorian drawing of chickens

The thing I love about chickens, the entire bird, before an after death has endless uses. While alive, they leave us with an egg every day little feathers here and there and eat our scraps becoming a handy garbage disposal. Not only this, but they go pecking through the grass for ticks, spiders and all other manner of icky pests, fertilizing as they go. What a creature!

Then after their timely (or untimely) demise, the chicken can be plucked and roasted, garlic and butter stuff beneath the skin to be eaten over rice and greens. After this? More meat can be pulled off to make a pot pie! After this?! The whole carcass can be boiled, skin and all to make a nutrient rich soup perfect for your summer or winter ills. The omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, and gelatin, among many other good vitamins and components found in the bone broth and fat of chicken can function as a stomach soother, immune booster and can help build bone density. I could go on, but you can also visit the following page to learn more  http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/03/26/food-for-thought-health-and-nutrition-of-traditional-homemade-chicken-brothstock/ .

From the time I was little, chickens and all of their magical powers have been a part of my daily life. I have gone back and forth not eating meat, just eating white meats and then trying even a totally vegan lifestyle, as well as a meat-heavy paleo one. After all the back and forth, I love veggies, eggs and chocolate most :} But I don't think I could live without my chicken stock. Sorry feathered friends! I will love you and care for you alive!

In this cold season, I wish you all health...no matter what your broth base may be!


Slainte
~B.R.M.

Comments

Popular Posts