Movin' on up to the big city

I've been in Richmond a whole week now. In that time, I have settled in significantly and am just trying to figure out where I go next. My new job doesn't start for a month which means two things: I am extremely broke, painfully broke. AND I have free time...for the first time in almost three years. It's insane to me. To be able to live and breathe and think and create. To write and explore and bake and clean and simply be.

I am starting to feel the effects of the last few years, though. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It is helpful to me, to know what going full speed without stopping can do to a person. I feel so much lighter now, so much more able to finish processing thoughts and ideas. I can hurt when I need to and experience the glory of melancholy. Because I don't have to be anywhere in which I cannot emote. It won't last long before I am rushing this way and that again and I look forward to it truly. The rhythm of work and play and the sweet companionship of evenings and early mornings. That first sweet cup of coffee first thing after your eyes have been open just long enough to drive to work and open the store.

I am almost giddy with excitement for fall, as always. But as with last year, I am trying to remind myself to savor the last few weeks of summer, those times in dusky light when you don't quite need a jacket and it still feels as though you are a teenager out of school for a few joyful months. You stay up impossibly late though you may have to get up early, because now it's summer. And for whatever reason, I am sure I am not the only person to feel this way, when its light out later, you just don't need as much sleep. Call me crazy...

I like the city as I've been experiencing it. There are so many different parts of it, the wealthy West End and the super hip areas of Cary Street and Churchill. I am trying out different coffee shops here and there and trying to figure my non-existent budget into how I am ever going to afford eating at every single incredible restaurant in town... (hint: I cannot possibly make it happen)

I definitely consider myself a foodie, not only for my love of food but for my love of CRAFTING food. This definitely took a turn in a different direction than my charming summer thoughts, but alas, it does lead me to another topic I would like to broach. I am thinking of starting a blog with Caleb about my cooking, his photography and our relationship. It'll be all things I've presented here and so much more. Featuring his strong photography skills and my homegrown cookery. Interested??? Let me know and I will post in the next weeks and link it to my current blog.

As for now, I am off to enjoy an evening at the farm.

Slainte
BRM

Comments

Popular Posts