In which I am humbled.

In my entire life, I have never been turned down for a job. I have applied to the positions I wanted and gotten them immediately. Since moving to RVA, I have found this manner of easy acquisition to be non-existent. Besides a really great position which doesn't begin for another month or so, I have been turned down for 3 other positions for which I applied. I would never presume that I was the best for any job, but as I applying for job which I am strictly under-qualified for, this has been quite an interesting and humbling experience. From barista to baker to hostess to counter help, I have been turned down time and again.

I am enjoying the down time, as I said, but I like to work. I like a challenge. I like to sweat and accomplish heavy tasks. See something finished before me. As I am out of funds, I cannot bake or cook to meet these accomplishing needs. For now, I am running, cleaning, making do with the dried yummies I have, in addition to some delicious peppers and tomatoes from my beau's family farm.

In this quiet section of Richmond, I see the same types pass in and out of the coffeehouse where I sit and write. Most people in their 20's and 30's, a few middle aged folks with wine and beer are scattered on the porch. All these people just off work or perhaps enjoy a day off and catching up with friends. I love watching people do all the things they do. Ordering, working, interacting. Catching the simple conversions had between bodies. Body language is amazing, isn't it??? A whole dialogue complete with punctuation. I am fascinated.


This is just a little tidbit of the day, I hope I don't bore you all overmuch! I moved to this city to create and build and experience, and I certainly am doing all of those things. From a new library card and system to a whole new circle of people to see day to day. It is all still so new that it will take me some time to feel sick of it all. Not to mention the variety a city offers in the way of music and entertainment. I am very excited for this fall...

Have a wonderful evening and I implore you all to relax a bit tonight and know everything can wait til morning to be fixed...

Slainte
~BRM

Comments

Popular Posts