When days off are rare, and times are rough, make lemonade...or something

     When you work two jobs and have a boyfriend, a dog, a horse and a large amount of things to get done, days off are not a restful occasion, rather they are an opportunity to kick butt and get your list to a smaller page. My day includes holding a heavy horse head while his teeth were "floated." Horses' teeth keep growing all the time and they have to be periodically trimmed back so they don't get sharp and cause discomfort and ultimately infection and weight loss. Fascinating, right? AND EXPENSIVE! Alas, I do love horses.

     This was followed by vacuuming, sorting through winter clothes, taking clothes to donation, trying to find a rug doctor to clean filthy carpets due to said cat and dog and boyfriend. Then onward to meet with a sister in town and then back to polish and clean old tack so I can sell it for a bit extra cash. But all of these things are pleasant problems and pleasant tasks.

    While I am not unaffected by the past election, I am aware that nothing can be done and that by being riled up or getting mad at my fellow citizens,I am only making the problem worse. Perhaps you would say I have no room to speak since I haven't suffered the things so many are afraid of with this new government. Regardless, I will give my opinion, this can only make us all stronger. Show us alternate ways to exist and live. Teach us new things and open some sleepy eyes.

    2016 has been a rough year for all of us and we are not about to get a break just because 2017 is coming, even though we all dearly love to look to the New Year for a fresh start. That ever important symbolism, means nothing because time is so infinite. We can start over every morning, if we like. It doesn't guarantee we will be shiny and new, but it does allow our brains to take a break and be at ease. I wish sometimes I could lean my head to the side and slam lightly on the opposite ear to get rid of all the excess mess and memories. Can't you picture it? Every new years eve, we empty our little brain attics into a sac and file it away in some universal storage locker. I like that imagery.

    Instead we cling to yoga, to therapy, to religion and blogging, music and dance. Anything at all to let us burst and recharge simultaneously. Thank goodness we have these options available to us. And they are all so beautiful. Sometimes just watching a ballerina dance or listening to the sweet tinkling of a mandolin is enough, you don't even have to know how to jete or pick to feel release. In my busy day today, I am bustling around to get things done so that I am given time later to dance and sing. To strum and pray. To bend and flex. So that I may feel like some part of my earthly day is complete and list is finished enough to unwind.

   Along with this week of mayhem, we are greeted with the sad news of Leonard Cohen's untimely death. He lead a life full of inspiRickman was a horrible loss for me, growing up with his tip tap hollow voice all around me.
ration, bringing many of us to tears with so many of his songs. I don't think I know a single person who doesn't know Hallelujah, that is a remarkable feat, to have an a song so recognized and adored. Not that there weren't many of his songs that deserved the same acknowledgment. This is merely an example. How many great stars we have clutched to our bosoms this year as they left the earth. Alan

  Let us mourn who and what we need to mourn, let us feel lost for a week or so, recover and then pull ourselves up by the bootstraps to find new ways to be bold, new ways to be bright and lovely in the face of adversity. "Whatsoever is pure, whatsoever is lovely, think on these things." And so we all shall, Truth may feel like it has been put away for now, but it doesn't stay hidden long and there is beauty left to be bought and sold and found. This is not the end of things. It is change. Everyone who asks for change, remember, it isn't always equally kind to everyone. Change is change. Pennies or quarters. That's all there is to it. Be well and be kind.


Slainte
BRM

Comments

Popular Posts