Season's Reflection
















Happy December,
Happy season of giving and doing and warmth and closure on a year of whatever. Grief for many, happiness, failure or success. I have seen many posts on social media about being aware of the many who many suffering in these times of togetherness and it is important to remember not everyone shares in our joy or family connection. It is always important we acknowledge we are not the only ones on this earth.


However, I do not think anyone should be allowed to hamper our spirits or take away from our joy because they are not joyful. In fact, we should envelop them in this joy and make them a part of our families in whatever way possible. I have had it happen more times than I can count, this darkening of cheer because of someone else's own problems. I will be so enthusiastic and excited and it is taken from me by one small reaction.


D.H. Lawrence puts it much better than I can with the following quote,
""I cannot cure myself of that most woeful of youth's follies - thinking that those who care about us will care for the things that mean much to us."


This doesn't just apply to those who care for us, in my case, but also strangers to whom I may be polite or welcoming. My coworker often says, "it's not even what one says, but who one says it that is the difference between rude and polite." I would also argue its the difference between thinking a bit more about others and you know....not thinking about others.


I am no joyous holiday elf, flinging glitter and caroling all the way through December, I am in fact quite a Scrooge. But I have become more and more aware of how much the holiday means to others who are NOT me and it makes me more eager to cultivate a jolly attitude. I think there is a good middle ground between dashing about buying endless presents which may be forgotten in  matter of months and being overwhelmed and then being altogether absent in the season.


I don't portend to know any more than the next human, but I think we could all do with a bit more time thinking about others. Even just strangers in line behind us. We do not all have enough money to give to the homeless or to veterans, but we can start a kindness chain. More to me than someone paying for my coffee, would be genuine compassion from a stranger, some level of understanding and acknowledgement that I am a feeling creature.


Smile at people, hold the door, share a funny thought or comment with someone in an elevator, love your fellow man in whatever way is available to you. Helping hands, helping words and give whatever you can.


Thanks my view on this very complicated and difficult season. Love should not and cannot be measured in gifts or monetary value, but in genuine goodness and compassion.


Slainte
BRM

Comments

Popular Posts