The prettiest whistles won't wrestle the thistles undone

I think we all face the need to reclaim ourselves, perhaps many times, over the period of a lifetime. For me , this happens many times a year! The need to pull back into yourself and strike out on your own towards some bright goal in the distance.

It's this funny sort of reminder to ourselves that we are worth something and and that our worth is enough for now. I seems strange in a land of so much acceptance and such continued progression that we still struggle to find value in our existence. I am a barista, a minor-league baker and a dabbling writer and all of these things are common and replaceable in society. I am aware of this, so I have to remind myself that while anyone can do what I do, not everyone can do it the way I do it and this makes me necessary and gives me value as a human.

My rosey-tint to those pies and lattes and to my blog can only be gained from MY fingers and heart. So...I persevere, though I feel useless and often aimless, I know that even if I have made one person's day lighter or given someone else a reason to be, then I have done enough for one day.

We have a tendency to block out the fact that there may be someone out there who's life we touch without knowing it. The old woman who's chair we held out, the kid who felt weird about his new hair cut but you happened to compliment it, maybe the guy who really wanted cherry pie and lo and behold, you made one this week. Small things, things I may not even know about or care about now, these are the things I try to remember when I throw myself sobbing on my bed after a long day of emotional revelations and exhaustion form 8 hours on my feet serving others. I must have these things, you see, to reclaim Rose.

Rose isn't just a person, Rose is a myriad of struggle and triumph and heartbreak and loneliness and strength and weakness. I am a flower, true to my name, delicate and needy, but I am also strong as nails and proud to a fault of my muscle and self-sufficiency.

But today, I am a little girl in need of sleep, renewal, home and silence. I am a wounded sparrow searching for a little nest before I fight that daily battle of who I am and what I do. So, sleep is imminent and I bid you all a happy, restful weekend in which you may delight in the ways of your spirit and heart and the earth around you.

Peace.
~Rosie

Comments

Popular Posts