PLUNK PLINK PICK PICK PLUNK

So. This is my project (aside from the sweater) for the foreseeable future. I also have a cello to learn to play...but for now, this banjo. 
I will not say I have mastered the guitar, by any means, as I am just not a master kind of lady. I like to know enough to entertain myself and play a few ditties in a crowd, but I am not capable of jamming just anywhere, not being a natural musician. My little brother has a natural ear and perfect pitch. I envy him! 
BUT! I have always loved bluegrass and I've been itchy to get my fingers on a twangy piece of instrument like this guy. 
I am the host of the open mic at my coffeeshop and I am constantly trying to find ways to bring a new song or a new idea to my hosting part of the deal, Though I don't always succeed in this endeavor, I promise, I do think all week about the coming Thursday eve!

I think music is one of the best ways to unwind and also to challenge yourself. I can sit back after a rough week or emotional day and play my heart out, or I can stretch my brain and skill and learn a new song or new technique...OR...new instrument, I am not sure where I would be if not for song. I learned long ago the inexplicable need for melody and harmony, for clashing symbols or soothing strings. I have found that almost everyone can be reached by the emotion found in music. Somehow putting a poem to music gives it a new life an meaning than simply writing words on a white page. 

It is but mid-January and there is still a long stretch of winter ahead before I can run barefoot through the palace green in Colonial Williamsburg and play guitar in the dusk under the big oak trees. I plan on filling these seemingly endless evenings and dark days with learnin'. That way I can maybe throw my banjo over my shoulder and find me a bluegrass band to join!
Cheers to another day alive on a earth with EVERYTHING to offer. 


Slainte! ~BRM

Comments

Popular Posts