Captain Earnest

"There was a tugboat Captain and his name was Earnest. He hauled his wares down the York river to Newport News and one day he got stuck on the shore...."

These were some of the words to a pleasant story thought up by my kindly beau as I tossed and turned with fever two nights ago. I begged him to tell me a story to distract me from the rages of fever dream and pain. I felt, at the time, the fever was purely part of a nasty cold/flu that had hit me just a few hours before. I slept fitfully that night and being one opposed to normal doctoring, I had no intention of letting this cold beat me.

The beau was good enough to run to my little cabin to grab my herbal cold remedies (sage and thyme tea, elderberry, echinacea) and bring them back to where I was currently house sitting for my boss. These had little effect and he began to worry when I did not improve but instead worsened. After hours of sweating and writhing, the decision was made to take me to the local MedXpress. It turns out I was being sabotaged by my own body and had a kidney infection, the second in four years for me!

This is all very personal information and normally I would not share so many goings-on with the whole world, but I felt it necessary to give a brief explanation for the rest of my post. Now that I have given the back story, here is the rest...

After fighting every instinct against antibiotics and taking them anyway, I began to perk up almost immediately, This was followed by drinking hot, homemade egg drop soup full of nourishing chicken fats and then a cozy sofa-settin' while I watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. The entirety of these almost 48 hours, I was accompanied by the best of men and this is why I am writing this post.

Not once did he falter, not once did he get up to leave me in my state, not once did he become overwhelmed by the sickness or silliness or the frustration I show when I am ill. He told me stories of his travels and held my hand tight. He all but carried me to the car and to the doctor and then waited for hours while I was in the back being poked full of holes! He greeted me with a bright, albeit tired face when I woozily walked back into the waiting room and did not stop caring for me the rest of the evening and into the morning until he left me just now to finally attend to his own life that he had put on hold for me.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the best of men. No selfishness, no exhaustion in what he felt was his duty, and no frustration in his position as my care-taker. All who know him know what he is and what he is worth, He is everyone's angel-face and best friend.

For me, he is golden. Wherever we may go, I know that he is worth ten-thousand weight in gold.

Comments

Popular Posts