Lion's Roar

I painted my nails gold today. I never paint my nails, but I had this silly notion that if I painted them, I would feel better about myself, which is silly, since my nails will be ruined in about 12 hours as soon as I pack my first morning espresso shot, or potentially sooner if I decide to play my guitar or go scampering about with my beau in the evening light.

But, it has been a nice day and an introspective one, SURPRISE. I think every day is an introspective one for me. Each day is a battle to be okay and do what I can for others. I decided to busk for a few hours in town today and while I made very little money, I did spend about fifteen minutes talking to a lonely older gentleman from South Carolina about history and folk music and my education. I hope that was a gift. I am not sure my music is a gift, but I CAN lend an ear and be someone for another human, should they need it.

My little dog is currently guarding the gate as I sit, typing on the porch, in my bare feet and pale, spring legs. Addie considers herself a fearsome beast prepared to eat anyone who should trespass. And by eat I mean bark at then lick and joyfully jump upon.

I made Moussaka today, it's a long process and I have only just finished. Moussaka is a Greek dish made with lamb, potatoes, tomato sauce, bechamel sauce and gruyere cheese. A Greek style lasagna, if you will. I didn't have lamb, nor do I have the money to buy lamb, so I substituted hot venison sausage, also a rarity for me. I usually just use lentils, as I won't eat "public" meat, as I call it. I have been off of sugar for almost any entire week now and coffee, as well. I have very little desire for it and I feel so incredible, as a result. Energy abounds and I feel free.

I have been experimenting with food for a long time, taking this and that away until I know what my body really wants. So far I have discovered that I crave tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, red meat and buckwheat bread. I made two loaves of buckwheat bread last week and they are already gone. I love that stuff so much. I add honey, millet, sunflower seeds, chia and molasses. I also add eggs and goats milk, if I have them. It is basically a big power loaf. Dense and filling and delightful with coconut butter and honey on top...OR BUTTER. I LOVE butter.

Anyway, today I have thought a bit about love, as a friend has requested it on his birthday. I have thought about love exchanges and energy and the way that we love, depending on who and what kind of love. What I have found is that no matter who is it we are loving, we can still experience that heart swell and bursting spirit. I remember feeling that for my father when I was a little girl and I feel that way when I am falling asleep saying my prayers silently for God and for my mother when I cook or dress my body so very like hers. I feel that for my handsome lad when he plays and sings a tune. I feel it for my little doggie asleep right next to me wherever I go, attached to me always.

So today, I have found that love MUST be patient, it MUST be kind, it MUST not boast. It must NOT be self-serving. No matter the love. One shouldn't suffer unduly, but one must remember that loving, for the sake of loving, is more important than loving to achieve some goal or dream. Where would we be without love?

Slainte.
BRM

Comments

Popular Posts