You would love to play the queen, for the ocean plays the king...

"Our lives are frittered away by detail, simplify, simplify, simplify!" ~Henry David Thoreau

I begin today knowing in my heart that I must simplify my life. I must cut away at the excess, whether that be excess clothing, material possessions, jobs, commitments, anything that makes me feel heavily indebted. This is not n easy task as I have built a sort of Jenga game in my little life. One thing stack upon another,dependent on the block underneath for support or it may collapse altogether.

It's a tricky game, removing something from such a tangled web. It must be done, however and there is no time better than the present for removing. The longer we put off the necessary detachment, the harder it becomes.

I dream of a tiny cabin with a woodstove for heat, a pump outside to pull water from underground and a stream nearby for when the well may freeze in the deep winter. So many people would call me crazy or say, "well, you may want that now, but I doubt you'll last long once you get it." Oh, how little they truly know me. How little they know about my thick skin and hunger for simplicity. I can withstand cold, heat, quiet, solitude until I feel I may burst for want of company, but I can always push a little farther.

 It's one of the reasons I have always longed to hike the Appalachian Trail, to be alone and push myself along the way, every step a little further, a little more lonely. I think once we know we can truly only depend on ourselves and God, we can begin to be more content with everyone and the world around us. We can breath easier about the tiny little stings and "issues" that barrage the world and our lives.

Maybe it will never actually solve the issue of simplifying ME, but it will help to clarify the things I know and need and love and truly want. How on earth could I know what I want if I have a billion options, many of which are entirely false and not even a real part of my being.

This is rather a selfish post, with little beauty or wisdom to impart, but I just had to take a day to post about the frustration and desperation I feel to whittle away at the layers of worldly, complication.


Slainte!

Comments

Popular Posts